English Composition 121

A Historical Synthesis I Guess? (3/11 Post)

In 2017 I had a composition course with a professor whose concept of writing differed violently from my own preference, that is of a style that values more economy with words, much as Hemingway did. Well Hemingway was a bit of a twat and Old Man and the Sea wasn’t very good. In this year, yet another style of writing that went against my style, and yet in a completely different way compared to that which was previously stated. The core of this new one was personal experience and pathos, that which I may or may not have cast aside. As one can imagine, not something that particularly goes nicely with my shibboleths of abstraction, much as a green felt chair with cheese stains with the decor of a pretentious Seattleite’s apartment. However, the combination of both extremes pulling me allowed for me to take a third option and go beyond that which was proscribed. It also made me a tiny bit better at adapting to the more conventional ideas, though I still have a preference for that which is experimental and a bit more lyrical, if it masks writing bereft of actual quality, much as the illusion of competence props up certain figures in public society. The reaction against that which I detest and something I am less liable to immediately dismiss has also made me consider the use of certain devices I may have neglected or not had the confidence to use some time ago. However, this may be waxing lyrical in a bid to score points, as the office sycophant does.

One thought on “A Historical Synthesis I Guess? (3/11 Post)

1. Dhipinder Walia

A third genre of writing– yes! You’re also not saying this third genre is a compromise of the two you’ve been exposed to as much as a way to resist both while still satisfying the requirements of the assignment. I’ll be looking out for methods you use to develop this resistance as it could be useful for my own research on the intersections of English Composition and Activism.

DW