English Composition 121

People Writing Category Blog Autoethnography Prompt

I want to interview a not immigrant worker and immigrant worker and compare the results. Ms. Randall is a writing center tutor. I interviewed her and my aunt. When I asked Ms. Randall whether she ever felt dehumanized, she told me she usually didn’t because she worked for enlightened organizations. She found ways to humanize her work. She did experience degradation when she was writing textbooks. All work is anonymous when writing textbooks so she did not get credit for her work. She stated that affects how someone feels about their work. A way that she was alienated from her work was that she had to change her textbook writing for political reasons. She could not write something that is against the political views of the region she is writing for. For example, in Texas, the people dislike and are uncomfortable with words such as “multicultural”, “diverse”, liberal words. She worked in freelance which means that she worked on projects. She was paid well but received no benefits. However, she had a lot of independence. She stated that was the trade off she had to make. The amount of benefits she received influenced her attitudes towards her job. She said it will be interesting to ask people of vastly different jobs, such as people who clean houses and the workers, who receive benefits and pension how they feel about their jobs. Ultimately, what affected how she feels about her jobs are benefits, anonymity, and modifying work for politics.

Then I interviewed my aunt. She works in a program which is a combination of school and daycare. She is an assistant teacher. The person higher her is called the group teacher, an elderly woman, who serves as a supervisor of the classroom. My aunt talked about how she feels exploited at work. She feels as like a quasi-slave to the bourgeoisie owner. Her group teacher gives my aunt work that the group teacher should be doing. My aunt gave an example of washing bowls after the children finish eating, watering her plants, microwaving her food, doing work for her on the computer, and other tasks that the group teacher is supposed to do herself. Perhaps the worst part for my aunt is generally not getting recognition or appreciation for her work. For example, setting up the bulletin board. She thinks that is expected of her and doesn’t praise her. My aunt’s work as a teacher is usually not anonymous but it is when she does not get the recognition for the work she does.

She argues that she is taken advantage of more than other teachers because she is an immigrant. She wants to advance in assimilate to American culture therefore she is submissive; she does everything she is asked to do to please her supervisor. She wants to keep her job as well so does not protest. She can speak English fairly well but kind of struggles with that. That teacher gets angry when my aunt does not understand her commands. I was happy to learn that she has been protesting lately about not doing someone else’s work. I tell my aunt all the time to not do her work for her, to stand up. That always bothers me when she talks about her work because she deserves the best, not that.

I learned very much from my interviews, especially Ms. Randall’s. Wage was not an issue for either of my interviewees but I felt sympathy for both my employees because they were dehumanized. Ms. Randall had to be anonymous and modify her writing and my aunt has to do other people’s work. She should move up to a better position with the amount of effort she puts. I also found it unfortunate that Ms. Randall didn’t have benefits in her freelance job. I see that it is a trade off as she says but if there was a medical issue or she needed paid family program she couldn’t have their assistance. It is unfortunate for people to change their work for politics but I think that it always happen and to be expected with politics. I think my aunt’s story is one of many especially immigrants getting exploited. Dehumanization and exploitation can mean that one does not get benefits, not being able to submit their true work. They have to change things to fit their boss’s ideals or politics. It also means having to do more work than is necessary because your boss sees you as a tool rather than your physical capabilities and limitations.

One thought on “People Writing Category Blog Autoethnography Prompt

1. Dhipinder Walia

I’m glad to see you were able to dig deeper for this prompt as it led to a thorough analysis of two people. What is most interesting to me is the intersection each woman’s experiences has with economic class.