English Composition 121

Autethnography Prewriting 11/20

Sometimes, the best way to generate a question that is related to the personal and the cultural is through reflecting on the “core components” of our identity. Core components include:

1. things you have (e.g., I am a mom – because of things I have – kids)

2. things you do (e.g., I am an athlete – because I play sports often and possibly on a competitive level)

3. things you believe (e.g., I am a Baptist.)

4. places you’ve been/lived/spent a lot of time (e.g., I am a New Yorker.)

5. physical construct (e.g., I am petite.)

6. heritage/ethnicity (e.g., I am African-American.)

7. social and/or cultural construct (e.g., I am a widow.)

8. attitudinal (e.g., I am meticulous.)

List as many descriptions and definitions of your self as you can. (e.g., I am x, y, z …)

Go back and generate as many questions as you can that relate to the ones that are of interest to you. These questions should start with: Why and How

17 thoughts on “Autethnography Prewriting 11/20

1. Rebeca Aragon

I am a female student. How does music impact students? Why is music important when it comes to studying? Does music have a negative impact when students are studying? What music is best when it comes to focusing and studying?
    I listen to music.
    I believe in the importance of health. How does health differ from college students and high school students? Does college make students less healthier or more healthier? Why are college students more stressed in college than in high school?
    I’ve lived in the Bronx all my life.
    I am short.
    I am Mexican-American.
    I am sarcastic.

2. Aktia Ridhima

I am a Girl
    I am Bangladeshi-American
    I live in New York- Why do I live in New York? Does New York have more opportunities than other states? Why are there more population in New York than other states? Do all the rich people live in New York?
    I am a student
    I love Cricket

3. Israel Adjei

I am a teacher
    -why do I teach?
    why do other people teach?
    who teaches?
    what is the population of teachers in the middle class?
    Is teaching a noble profession than nursing?
    Are teachers highly paid than other government workers?
    what respect do teachers have in their community from teaching?

4. Nieve Ramgahan

I am a young woman
    Where does a young woman belong in a world such as today? How can a young woman succeed given the history of women? Why do young women face these struggles? Why are women of color more targeted?
    I am West Indian
    Where are there other West Indians in the Bronx? What is the culture made up of? Why does it follow those norms? Why do West Indian people have certain restrictions, health issues, or ways of life?
    How do the cultural norms of West Indian families impact the growth of a child?
    I am 5’2 & petite
    I am powerful
    Why is my attitude powerful? Does it stem from a sense of self? Does it come from the way I was raised? Do other people feel so too? If so, why?
    I am a daughter
    Why are daughters more eagerly criticized than a boy child? Where in other parts of the world does this also take place? Doesn’t take place?
    I am a sister
    Why is the role of sister not as important than the role of brother? Where does sisterhood begin and end? Where are the lines made between blood related and social aspects?
    I am a college student
    Why do people go to college? Where do they go to college in the Bronx? What is the most popular college in the Bronx?
    I am Bronx born and raised
    Why do people live in the Bronx? Who lives there?

5. Prince Asiedu Boakye

I am male student.
    I have been to France
    I am a soccer fan
    I am an African
    I am an Atheist. Who is an atheist? why am i am atheist? Whats the merits of been an atheist? Who else is an atheist? Do atheist have a better moral life than religious people?

6. Estefania Carrera

I am a woman, daughter and sister. I’m full time student and a full time worker, that being said, I’m always on the go, doing something and my schedules are usually very tight. I believe in equality for everyone regardless of religion or culture. I am a New Yorker, I love my city but I have also gotten the chance to visit other places like Dominican Republic, Mexico and Canada. I am Dominican, black hair and dark eyes, medium tone complexion, but more towards the deep shades. My height is about 5’5, which in my opinion is tall, and I also have a skinny/slim figure. As a person I’m very hard working, responsible, active, smart, I love to spend time with my friends and also very adventurous, anything that includes adrenaline, trying something new, taking the risk, I’m in it which makes me a very optimistic person for the most part.

7. Yarielid Torres

I am an only child. I like watching movies. I am a very emotional person, I feel like this is part of the reason why romance and drama movies are my favorites. (Why do I like romance movies so much?, What was the first romance movie?, Do people enjoy romance and drama movies as much as I do?, Do people stay at home or go to the movies to watch these type of movies?, Do boys enjoy the drama of these movies as much as girls do?, Why do I cry a lot while watching certain films?, Do other people cry or get as emotional as I do when watching specific scenes of a movie?”)I am a Christian. I have lived in Puerto Rico and New York. I have visited Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Aruba and about 7 more islands of the Caribbean. My height is 5’3. I am Puerto Rican. I am single. I am very creative. I am a very happy person.

8. Guevara Torres

I am a hobbyist
    How are you a hobbyist?
    Why did you decide to be a hobbyist?
    What benefit do you get out of participating in a hobby?

I am a driver
    Why do you drive?
    How did you learn to drive?
    Who taught you how to drive?

I am a technician
    Why are you a technician?
    How did you become a technician?
    Is the being a technician any better than being a cook?

I am short
    How short are you?
    Why are you short?
    How did you become short?

9. Mentor Mahmuti

I am a student so i have an education
    I am an athlete, I play volleyball and basketball on a competitive level.
    I believe in good and bad karma
    I go to Kosovo every summer but i am from the Bronx.
    I am considered overweight But very tall
    I am Albanian American
    I am moody

10. Reina Henriquez

I am married.
    I am students
    I am the oldest sister
    I was born in Dominican Republic.
    I live in Bronx.
    I like to play sport.
    I will like to become a early childhood teacher. why a teacher? do you like to be around kid? did become an teacher have to do with something that happened to you when you were little? where will you like to teach? will you teach in the bronx? what do you like about teaching? do you believe that teaching is going to make you happy?

11. Christian Bolivar

I am a gamer because I play a lot of video games. Why do I play a lot of video games? How did I get into video games? How do my parents react when I spend hours playing video games? How do video games entertain? Why can video games be therapeutic? How can art be presented in video games? How are video games used to tell a story? Why are video games immersive? How do you make friends through an online video game? Why do other people play video games? Why is the video game community so large? Why can video games be a way of life?
    I am a star gazer.
    I am an empath because I empathize a lot with the people I know
    I am a New Yorker because I live in New York
    I am skinny
    I am Latino
    I am
    I am stubborn. Why am I stubborn? How did I pick it up? Why can stubbornness be seen as a bad thing? Why can stubbornness be seen as a good thing? How does stubbornness help? How does it hinder? How did some stubborn people leave their mark in history?

12. Gnogna Fathima Lye

1. I’m a daughter because I am an offspring of my mother and father.
    2. I’m a dancer because I perform for Lehman Bollywood Dance Club and other showcases through LBDC. I’m a Wellness Coach because I provide resources to live a healthy lifestyle. I’m a photographer because I capture everything and everyone when possible and have been awarded by NYC Parks & Rec Commissioner Mitchell Silver for it. I’m a Media Marketer for National School-Based Health Alliance: Youth Advisory Council because I manage all media outlets and outreach for youth attendees.
    3. I believe in my religion Islam and Allah (God) and there is only one higher power because I am Muslim,
    4. I’m Sri Lankan because I was born and raised there. I also identify with being a New Yorker because I also grew up here. I spend a lot of time at home, home is where my family is (Mom & Dad).
    5. I am considered short.
    6. I am Sri Lankan.
    7. I am Single individual.
    8. I’m a hard worker and sarcastic.
    Q’s: How can you identify yourself to one place if you’re an immigrant?
    How does extra-curricular activities better a student’s lifestyle?

13. Pende Sawadogo

I grew up in a small country. By 10 pm in the night in my country, the whole town is quite quiet. People restart activities after 5 am. so i use to have nice sleep at night because there is very noiseless in my area. When i moved to America, in only borough that i feel comfortable to live in is Queens unlike Manhattan and Bronx which are crowded and noisy during in the whole twenty four hours.

14. Porshe Maysonet

I am a big sister and little sister. Why is having siblings important? How does it alter you as a human? Why is it hard for some people to get along with their siblings? how many siblings do you have?
    I am a professional dancer.
    I am a firm believer in a higher being. Why is religion categorized? Why are people being looked at different for not picking a certain religion? How does religion effect others lives?
    I am a New Yorker but I was born and raised in the Bronx.
    I am tiny.
    I am African American and Puerto Rican. How is it to be a mixed race in America? How does it effect ones society?
    I am single.
    I am ambitious.

15. Joel Ortiz

1. I am a son as well as a brother due to the fact that I have siblings and parents.
    2. I am a writer because I write poems/stories
    3. I believe all lives matter
    4. I’ve been to 3 countries: USA, D.R, P.R
    5. I am average height
    6. I am American with origins from D.R
    7.I am single
    8.I am calm, introverted

4. Within the USA I have been to different places such as Boston, Orlando, Philadelphia, Washington D.C, etc.
    Why did these specific cities stand out? What was the purpose of these visits? Who were the visits with?
    In P.R I was in the nations capital of San Juan but also visited the islands of Culebra & Vieques east of the main island.
    How was the culture different in this country? What was the main attraction for tourists? How did the two small islands differ from the main?
    In D.R I was in the Capital and the town of Ocoa.
    Is this “home” for you or has that changed living in NYC? What do you enjoy the most visiting the country your family comes from?

16. Erick Ochieng

I am a man
    I am a soccer player
    I am a christian
    I am a Kenyan? i was born in Kenya? my parents lived in Kenya? I schooled in Kenya? I worked in Kenya. my cultural traits resembles the Luos in Kenya? My complexion is black since i am Kenyan, African community. i have traveled back and forth for studies in other countries as many do in Kenya.
    I am black
    I am African-American
    I am married
    I am outgoing

17. Anabel Sosa

I am a college student
    i was raised in the bronx
    i am 5’2 and tiny
    i am dominican
    i will like to be a teacher how will i learn from the children? how will i make them enjoy my class? how would i understand the kids ?
    i am very organize person.
    i am generous and open minded