English Composition 121

Blog 4

The Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, established in 1990, encourages immigration from many countries. The program helps create more diversity in immigration. The US traditionally tends to favor immigrants who have family or employers. The program helps immigration from underrepresented countries. The program is known as the diversity lottery, since potential visa recipients are randomly selected with lottery qualified entries. Winning the lottery provides people the opportunity to apply for the diversity visa. The program accepts 50,000 immigrants. Average of 13.3 million people apply each year. Eligible countries are from six geographic regions such as Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania, North America, Central America. People from underrepresented countries are eligible to apply w. The greatest shares of diversity visa recipients have work and management type occupations, are children, are students. Eligible applicants must be able to immigrate to the United States and have education. Eligible applicants must have great work and have a high school education equivalent. Eligible applicant’s spouse must be from the countries with the diversity visa program. Winners have to receive visas. Winners have to do great with screenings. Winners have to do multiple identity biometrics, background checks, person interviews. These requirements apply to family members whom the lottery winner wants with. Winners get visas and are able to immigrate when they do well with electronic and in person screenings. Winners have the fiscal year for the application. Underrepresented areas of the world receive the largest percentage of the visas. Winners have education

In 1882 Congress Congress passed the Chinese Exclusion Act. The Chinese Exclusion Act curtailed the amount of Chinese immigrants. The Chinese Exclusion Act excluded laborers. Chinese immigrants migrated with the Canadian border.  About 5.3 million Italian immigrants immigrated from 1880. Swedes and Norwegians immigrated to have opportunity and have better than poverty and religious oppression. French Canadians immigrated to New England. Lebanese and Syrian immigrants immigrated in the 19th century. Majority of immigrants Syria and Lebanon were Christians and some Muslims,and Druze. Large amount of Syrian and Lebanese immigrants set West with Detroit having a large amount of Middle Eastern immigrants. Dearborn, Michigan has a large Middle Eastern population.

Ellis Island is common for immigrants. Immigrants want to have their customs and traditions. There is Little Italy, Chinatown, Koreatown. I see that the highest amount of immigrants is from 1991. I think that might be because of the Diversity Visa which began in 1990. Immigrants contribute their traditions and improve themselves and lives.

I think immigrants have ideas about being the majority and minority. For immigrants who were majority from their country, know what that is like, to be a minority. If immigrants are from a majority ethnicity and they immigrate to a country where they are minority ethnicity, they understand what that is like to be minority ethnicity. There are minority ethnicities in Bangladesh such as the Chakma. The main ethnicity is Bengali. I am Bengali and therefore I was the majority ethnicity. Before immigrating, I understood what that is like to be a majority. Bangladesh was a relatively comfortable life. I did not face much discrimination. I am in the majority religion. There are Christians, Buddhists, and Hindus minorities from Bangladesh. After immigrating, I understand privilege better. I am from the minority ethnicity and religion. After I immigrated, I saw differences. Just not knowing English is enough to get you made fun of. Elementary students treated me differently. I couldn’t communicate with them and I don’t know what they said when they did make fun of me. I wonder what they said. When I learned English I learned what they said.  I looked forward to playing with snow and seeing skyscrapers. I didn’t think students would treat me this way. I remember I think that was in fourth grade when I understood how people see Muslims. There is a student who I still remember talked negatively about Muslims. A student said Im Muslim. I am Muslim. Students bullied me so I did not want to add that word to be bullied more. Now I am proud to be Muslim. The teacher stood up for, talking about how she was a grocer and people should be respected. Students also made fun of my ethnicity and I remember being frustrated since there are other Bengalis who did not get that treatment. From then on, students did make fun of me for being Muslim. I remember there is a Mosque near so when the adhan call to prayer spoke, a student told me “Go to church”. From middle school, I got almost all the curry jokes you can imagine  I wonder if I would recognize my privilege in Bangladesh.

One thought on “Blog 4

1. Dhipinder Walia

Rehnuma, please review handouts on transitions so that your posts can be more organized. Here are my go to sites: https://owl.excelsior.edu/writing-process/paragraphing/paragraphing-and-transitioning/

https://owl.purdue.edu/engagement/ged_preparation/part_1_lessons_1_4/transitions.html

I see the connection the Visa program and the Chinese Exclusion act have to one another as both are telling outsiders who can and can not enter the country. How else were these two events related? Additionally, how are these two events related to your theory about majorities in one country coming to America and being the minority. Do you think your project will investigate what the experience of being a majority to a minority is like vs. a minority to a minority. I’m thinking of refugees from Mynamar who might be categorized as minority to minority.

Looking forward to seeing where you go next,
    DW