English Composition 121

Historical Overview of the Reformed Faith

When I first read the prompts for Category #4, my heart was filled with worry and anxiousness. The first thought that crossed my mind was this: “Historical Writing? I really don’t like history. And to be honest, what history could I possibly research for my topic?” Then I soon realized this was a perfect opportunity for me to organize the general history of the Reformed Faith. Through this process, I believe, I will be able to understand more deeply about the theology with which I view the subject of spirituality and resilience.

The Early Church

The Early Church is composed of and led by the disciples of the Apostles of Jesus Christ. All direct apostles of Jesus have passed away, so their students led the first few generations of the church. They were great apologetics, with a great faith, wisdom, and knowledge, who were under the religious persecution of the roman empire. Here are some important historical figures during this time: Justinus the Martyr (AD100-165), Irenaeus of Lyons (140-203), and Quintus Septimius Florens Tertullianus (1600-220). Irenaeus is known for formulating the recapitulation theory of atonement (recapitulation Christi) which is a comprehensive overview of the doctrine of atonement of Jesus Christ.

The Medieval Church

After the death of Aurelius Augustinus (354-430), one of the last theologians of the Early Church era, Johnnaees Damscenus (675-749) comes into the picture. He is known for his intellect. Especially for being acquainted with Aristotelian philosophy while holding on to the orthodox faith. Through his works, he has firmly established the reason for Christianity. Around 13th century, a familiar name arises: Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274). Aquinas was a controversial figure who established theology on the base of reasons. Towards the end of Medieval church era, a theologian known as the “morning star of Reformation” emerges into history. John Wycliff (1320-1384) fought against the Catholic’s flawed doctrine and translated Vulgate, a Bible written in Latin, to make Bible accessible to the general public.

Protestant Reformation

As it has been foreshadowed by Wycliff, the Protestant Reformation begins with early 16th century reformer, Martin Luther (1483-1546). However, he is not the only reformer of this time. Along with other theologians such as Ulrich Zwingli (1484-1531 and john Knox (1514-1572) who have been influenced by Renaissance ideas and Christian humanism, Luther fought against the error and deception of the Catholic church. In 16th century, John Calvin (1509-1564) comes into conclude the reformation and to set a firm foundation for Reformed faith. Not only did he set up a theological foundation which will later be called Calvinism, Calvin established Geneva Academy to raise leaders of Reformed faith. Calvin emphasized the importance of not limiting theology and faith in the realm of religion, but applying it into the society and individual life. His primary concern was the restoration of reverence of the scripture in the church. He believed this was only possible by correctly interpreting the scripture and the truth and relying on Holy Spirit and Christ. Unlike other theologians of his age, Calvin was exceptional at communicating with the public. He did not accomplish this through compromising his theology but through writing and preaching in a way that was understandable by the general public. Also, he was a great apologetic. However, his focus was never on winning individual debates, but on the progression of Christianity as a whole.

This is how my faith has developed in the course of history.

*** Professor Walia, I did this research through a theology textbooks that my dad possessed. I would love to cite it and give the author the credit, but this book is written in Korean. How do you cite a book that is not written in English?

2 thoughts on “Historical Overview of the Reformed Faith

1. Dhipinder Walia

David, I’m so happy to see you’ve chosen to explore the history of your faith as it will no doubt heighten the confidence of your project. You should consider excerpting pieces of this history within your project. There’s this new historicist idea that time is a continuous thing, so it might me interesting to layer the history of your faith over the history of your relationship to your faith. Not sure what that would look like, but a thought!

I have to get back to you on your question. My instinct is to say, translate the title and publication information to English and in parenthesis write (Translated from Korean). But I want to ask around to see if there’s a more official citation practice.

DW