English Composition 121

Summary of a person!

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Dhipinder Walia
      Keymaster

Post responses to various in-class exercises and/or writing you’ve done towards the “Summary of a person” assignment. Feel free to post questions here as well!

Sofia Yanez
      Participant

“Between the World and Me” is a letter from the writer to his 15 year old son. He addresses the many adversities black people like himself have endured for over a century. He incorporates his personal and historical experiences into a crucial lesson for his son: how to live and survive in a black body in America. The author talks about how he grew up in the ghetto and the streets created some sort of guide on how to survive in the streets. He also brings up how the parents in his generation would beat their children often only because they did not want to lose them. The way he grew up, the stuff he learned, the things he saw made a huge impact on his mentality as a black man. In addition, he speaks on the history of “the destruction of the black body” ranging from slavery, to the Civil War, to the creation of the Jim Crow laws, racial profiling, and now police brutality. He knows his son has grown up differently than he did and their experiences of being black are different, but the reality remains that being born in a black body in America is filled with serious danger. It frustrates him that he cannot comfort his son or say “it’s gonna be okay” because he knows that it most likely will not be. As a father, he wants to protect his son at all cost and teach him how to survive as a black person in America.

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Dear Christopher, I’m mesmerized by the angle you take in summarizing the Coates piece. You’re right. It’s all about losing the body. Your examples from the text also point to the ways in which Coates and those around him are frustrated by how little control they have of their bodies. Yes, it’s easy to lose, according to Coates, but it’s also hard to protect.

What did you think of the letter format? Does that have any relationship to the angle you point to of loss and the black body?

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Sofia, Coates is definitely interested in protecting his son, and I appreciate your emphasis here on how frustrated Coates becomes in his inability to protect his son’s body. I think you’re making an astute connection between form and purpose. If his purpose in writing this is to protect his son, then the choice of writing a letter emphasizes this purpose.

Thank you for sharing!

Chapter eighteen, “Palace intrigue,” is an excerpt of Richard Nixon’s biography, “One Man Against the World: The Tragedy of Richard Nixon,” written by Tim Weiner. In this reading the author gives insight into the events of the Moscow summit in May 1972 and President Nixon’s following visit with the shah of Iran. The summit’s primary objective was to restrict the growth of nuclear weapons in the United States and the Soviet Union to slow the arms race during the Cold War and prevent a mass destruction of both countries. Furthermore, Richard Nixon hoped to formulate a peace treaty to end the Vietnam War, in which both nations, the USA and the USSR, were involved. However, the leaders’ attempts to achieve agreements for significant issues remained unsuccessful due to their opposing views. In addition, Nixon’s public image, stubbornness, secrecy and mistrust interfered with possible accomplishments. Even though both nations lastly signed the arms limitation treaty (SALT), it did not decrease the production of American weaponry; on the contrary it accelerated the manufacture, leaving the Cold War without control. After Nixon’s meetings with Leonid Brezhnev, leader of the Soviet Union, he visited the shah of Iran before he returned back to the United States. Following the discussions of peace treaties in Moscow he negotiated a billion-dollar deal with the shah to supply him with advanced American weapons. Overall, Tim Weiner not only gives insight into the events that occurred between the Moscow Summit and the Watergate scandal, but he also provides a portrait of Nixon’s character itself by building his story upon numerous quotations of witnesses.

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Hi Ann-Kristin, Your language is concise and direct. This makes for such an easy understanding of a complicated negotiation. I’m struck by this moment: In addition, Nixon’s public image, stubbornness, secrecy and mistrust interfered with possible accomplishments.

I wonder if there’s a way in which you can begin a summary of this excerpt from that particular angle. Is there a way in which Nixon’s stubbornness clouds the entire negotiation process?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Larissa De La Rosa
      Participant

The chapter “Palace intrigue” is all about the exhaustive process of negotiations between President Nixon and Leonid Brezhnev, the leader of the Soviet Union, during the Moscow summit of 1972 and their counter-productiveness. The author very plainly states “In short, the talks had spurred the arms race they were supposed to control.” The week long attempt at peace between the two was for all nothing. All the papers signed, talks had, dinners served, and nuances about weapons discussed pushed both nations into a rush to produce weaponry that these same talks and agreements were meant to avoid. The outcome was that both sides used tiny loopholes in the contracts to their advantage. Both men agreed to the general idea that neither nations wanted to go to war and yet they couldn’t see eye to eye on many fronts. The issue between the two was that although they both wanted the same in terms of no war, they couldn’t agree on the compromises that had to be made on the way to solidify the peace between both nations. Leonid Brezhnev wanted President Nixon to stop the war going on in Vietnam and President Nixon wanted Leonid Brezhnev to stop the arms shipments going out to Vietnam that were killing American soldiers. Both parties wanted the war to stop, but neither was willing to step down first. We later see that due to all the specifics written down during the summit, President Nixon goes on to make a multi-billion dollar deal with the shah of Iran in the sale of American weapons.

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

I love your use of adjectives here. Yes, the process does read as exhaustive. And you’re angle is so poignant: ultimately, despite the exhaustive process, they’re able to use loopholes to do whatever suits their individual interests. I particularly liked the tone you use here; it gives me the impression that you’re suspicious and frustrated by this week long negotiation.

Thank you for sharing!

Christopher Nunez
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>In Ta-Nehisi Coates’ </span><i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Between the World and Me, </span></i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>the idea of losing one’s body is very prevalent. He opens up the chapter speaking directly to his son. He is trying to teach his son on how one lives inside a black body. His son was recently just devastated by the ruling of the Michael Brown case, that nothing will be done to the police officers. Coates knew that nothing will be done to them but his son had hope because he was young and has yet to realize the harsh reality of living in a black body. Coates recalls growing up in the streets of Baltimore and how he hung out with primarily black people. He remembers them standing at the street corners with their expensive clothing, and loud music. Looking back at it now all he can see is the fear those people had of losing what was theirs, their bodies. He recalls how parents beat their kids just because they were so afraid of losing them. Coates did not truly fit in with the crowd, he described growing up in Baltimore as being to the elements of the world. Coates remembers one moment very vividly and it was when he was in the sixth grade. A kid pulled out a gun on him, even though the kid never ended pulling the trigger Coates received the message loud and clear. Coates saw how easily he can lose his body. </span>

Nathalie Roa
      Participant

Here is my letter to Rihanna because she is the person i’ll like to write my summary about.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Dear Nathalie,

What was so moving in your letter was the personal connection you make to Rihanna’s struggle. As I mentioned in class, your angle is how she dealt with bullying, but specifically folks having an opinion on her accent. Begin there. Think about what readers might gain from hearing about her story of loving her accent and using it to generate a legacy.

Thanks for sharing!

DW

Abegale

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>If you’re a person who has a degree in one thing and wants to pursue a career in another, I want you to know you can do just that. Just because you dedicated yourself to one major for 4 or more years, doesn’t mean that that’s the only major you are obligated to. If you feel like you have found something else you’re passionate about or will be more successful in, then go for it. If my words aren’t enough, just look at Nicki Minaj’s life before she became the famous rapper she is now. Nicki Minaj did not always aspire to be a rapper,actually her dream was to be an actress and she worked very hard towards it.</span>

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Hi Abegale, I’m looking forward to reading your letter. I just want to remind you that when you use the letter form, you want to be careful of not creating TOO insular of a piece. In other words, yes, your readership is the college graduate who wants to change their major, but your readership is also someone who might not think this is related to them, so how can you show that Minaj’s story is still an important one for us to know?

DW

Kristina Vuceljic
      Participant
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Dear Kristina,

I’m looking forward to hearing more about Miley’s transition from bubblegum pop to alternative. I’m not sure the letter format is COMPLETELY necessary for this piece. When writing a letter, you want to ask yourself, is writing in this form necessary? If so, why? What does it say if I select a specific group of people to write to? If you’re having a hard time answering these questions, you might consider adhering to the traditional form. In fact, you might shout out a group or two who are/were influenced by Miley’s evolution in a traditional summary.

Sofia Yanez
      Participant

Dear Kaitlin’s Parents,

I am writing my summary of a person on you guys. I met your daughter Kaitlin through social media; however, we were in the same English class in high school. We never spoke to each other or hung out after school because we interacted with different social groups. After graduation, we started talking through Snapchat and to our surprise it became an everyday thing. One day, she opened up to me about how depressed she really is because of what you guys have put her through. I was in complete shock. It’s crazy how someone can look so happy on social media, yet go through so much at home. The reason why I am interested in writing about you guys is to show how your actions have impacted your daughter and shaped her into the woman she is today. I want to open your eyes and hope you see how amazing, strong, and influential your daughter truly is. I also want this writing to be sort of a wake up call to other parents who don’t realize how their actions might be affecting their own children.

Sincerely,

Sofia

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Dear Sofia,

this has the potential of becoming an “open letter” you might think of publishing on a larger platform like thought catalog or something similar. I appreciate the angle here. Just remember, you want to really merge key moments in Kaitlyn’s life with lessons other parents can take away.

I also wonder how you’ll organize this piece. Three especially trying moments? Are you going to include the way it made Kaitlyn stronger in the long run? Or will the focus be on the immediate impact?

Can’t wait!

DW

(Draft of my introduction and links for more information)

Dear Peter Dinklage,

I am a great admirer of you as an actor and film producer and follow your work passionately. Your popularity in the mainstream series, “Game of Thrones”, is easily plausible, but my interest lays in your actual character rather than Tyrion Lannister’s.  For years, I have been impressed by your efforts to fight for animal rights and your influence on your large following.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/15/peter-dinklage-peta-save-huskies/

Peter Dinklage: Animal Activist

https://www.peta.org.uk/blog/peter-dinklage-dont-pay-for-cruelty/

'Game of Thrones' Star Peter Dinklage Walks for Farm Animals

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Dear Ann-Kristin, I can’t wait for this piece! Here are my thoughts on your intro:

I am a great admirer of you as an actor and film producer and follow your work passionately. I wonder if this sentence is necessary? If you’re writing to him because you want him to shed light on animal cruelty, or if you want him to do more about animal cruelty, should your focus immediately be on that ?

Your popularity in the mainstream series, “Game of Thrones”, is easily plausible, but my interest lays in your actual character rather than Tyrion Lannister’s.This might be a stronger first sentence.

For years, I have been impressed by your efforts to fight for animal rights and your influence on your large following.Can you add a bit more here- it isn’t just that you’re impressed but the purpose of this letter is to convince him to use his influence to do more re: animal rights. No?

I wonder how you’ll organize this. Current events related to animal cruelty and then anecdotes of what Peter has done that can help? OR key moments from Peter’s life and a reflection of how that can assist in animal rights activism?

DW

Kaela Rodriguez
      Participant

Kaela Rodriguez

Dear Eviana,

You will read this letter when you get older because right now you are only 3 years old. However, you will already know all that I will tell you, if not then listen up and take notes. There will be things you will question about Ericka (your mother, my sister) on why she decided to take on the profession of being her own boss. Ericka has been her own boss for 5 years now. She got her degree in public relations, however turned to a different route of taking her own lead.

When your mother graduated with her public relations degree, she was already doing…

Questions to ericka:

What is your difference in having a boss and being your own boss? What is more difficult? Why ?

What advice will you give your daughter about reality in the work field?

Will you forever be your boss?

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Dear Kaela, I love the layering here of writing to your subject’s daughter. Now you’ve got two audiences: your niece AND your general readership.

I am curious to learn more about your sister’s decision to be her own boss– but I recommend pulling your niece and readers in by identifying ways her decision to be her own boss might impact others. In other words, what can I learn from hearing her story? What do you WANT me to learn?

Thanks for sharing.

<p style=”line-height: 200%;”>Dear Future Leah,</p>
      <p style=”text-indent: .5in; line-height: 200%;”>When I woke up and found myself leaking fluid, I knew it would be the time of your arrival. I immediately went to the hospital. My water had broken and I was 1.3cm dilated. I was elated and anxious at the same time, because my baby girl was entering the world. On February 10, 2016, Leah-Sanique was born.</p>
      <p style=”text-indent: .5in; line-height: 200%;”>When you exited my body at 3:49am on said date, I knew you would bring joy to many hearts. When you were examined, everything was great and perfect. We left the hospital two days later, and went home. When we got home, everything was not always easy. We went your first two appointments at one week and month old, respectively; everything was still great. Everything changed when you had your second month appointment.</p>

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Hi Rushane, this has the potential to be a really moving piece for your daughter and for all moms, all parents.

For me, the paragraph about her birth isn’t as important to the purpose of this summary as the line that focuses on that second month appointment. I recommend starting THERE. Remember, as you write, the focus is on summarizing your daughter’s experiences through concrete details while also considering the significance her story has for your readers.

DW

Larissa De La Rosa
      Participant

My angle is my mother as a student.

1)College in DR

were you working while taking classes? did you ever have to seek out help? were there moments you felt overwhelmed?

2)Community college in NYC

what made you decide to go back to school? were you working at this point? how did you manage homework and studying with two kids under 5 years old? was there any point when you wanted to give up?

3)Master’s degree at 50

was it any easier this time because you didn’t need a babysitter?

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Hi Larissa, what an important story to tell! I hope you learn something far-reaching from this piece– the value of education at any age maybe?

Your focus on your mom’s relationship to education is a great angle. You might also consider as you discover more, what your piece will say about the value of higher education, international education, and resilience.

DW

TitilayoUsiera
      Participant

I will be writing my summary about a famous Nigerian pastor, and focusing on his childhood and early years. How he struggles to become great in life; though, his parents were poor.

Attachments:
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Hi Titilayo,

I’m so glad you’ve narrowed your focus to include his childhood and early years, but remember what we talked about: try to figure out what theme you’ll focus on/purpose you have in writing this piece. I think you’re interested in the way poverty impacted him, and the way poverty was not a hindrance to his success as a child and young adult, but a way for him to get stronger.

Irine Argenas
      Participant
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Sophia Bush as an activist/feminist is a great angle to take. Just be cautious when organizing your piece that you are not talking too generally and that you focus on specific things she’s done and WHY it’s so significant. You could do a number of things– the way her early years led her to become an activist OR a call for other young girls to become activists based on what Bush has been able to do. I’m sure there are other approaches you can take too…consider this “Why” when revising.

Jennifer Madrid
      Participant

Apostle Simon Peter,

I have decided to conduct my research on you because I believe that the values that you stood up for, the valor that you possessed and your unwavering faith in Jesus Christ, made you a man of great esteem. In particular, your leadership in what is considered the initiation of Christianity, after Christ’s death and resurrection, is inspiring. Although you were not a perfect man, your story of leadership in the face of adversity and persecution, is one that I desire to pass on to my future children. I want them to know that they don’t have to be of high standing or be completely extraordinary people, to make a difference in the world. You for one, were not educated. Your vocation was fishing and you were as ordinary as the next person. Nevertheless, you were chosen by Jesus Christ to become “the rock” on which Christianity was build upon and it was because you stood up to defend your beliefs after Pentecost, that the first mass Christian conversion took place.

My future children will benefit from learning of your incredibly great faith, dedication, and love to the greater purpose, which ultimately marked the course of Christian history, as we know it today.

Best regards,

Jennifer Madrid

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Thanks Jennifer for sharing this honest letter. What I appreciated most about it was the angle you’re taking. It isn’t just about Peter’s life, it’s about his relationship to faith and ability to take his “ordinary” position as a WAY to do an extraordinary thing.

Though the letter is a great form to use, you might even stick to the traditional summary form as I wonder if it’s not about your future daughter, but about a larger readership that needs to know this story.

Looking forward to reading,

DW

Renee M
      Participant

Summary of a Person Outline

Attachments:
      Carla Landa

My summary will be on Leonardo DiCaprio. The angle I choose to write about is how much he has helped and contributed on environmental issues. I’m including his speech when he won his first Oscar and how he related the movie “The Revenant” to the cause he’s passionate about which is environmentalism and  climate change.                                               -The founder of Leonardo DiCaprio fund at California Community Foundation.

-Wrote, narrated and produced “The 11th hour”

-he hosted an earth day celebration

-interviewed president Bill Clinton in the that time about global warming

-environmental activist

Links used

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>https://www.biography.com/people/leonardo-dicaprio-9273992   </span><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>https://www.aceshowbiz.com/celebrity/leonardo_dicaprio/biography.html </span&gt;

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>https://www.leonardodicaprio.org/</span&gt;

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Dear Renee, thanks so much for this outline. From the looks of it, you’re ready to start writing! I’d like you think of the words you put in each body paragraph (“Encourage”) as things you want your writing to DO, but you don’t necessarily have to SAY the word. In other words, by showing the way your mother worked hard, and giving a specific circumstance, your future daughter will be encouraged.

Looking forward to reading this!

DW

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Dear Carla, it’s a great idea to focus on Leo’s work for the environment. He’s done a lot with climate change and SHARKS. I wonder if you might also address your purpose within the piece. Why share his work on climate change with readers? What do you think they’ll gain from this? Of course, you don’t have to explain that explicitly as you write, but it is a good thing to keep in mind as your write.

Amina Mohamed

Princess Diana and her Charity Work

Despite being a member of the British royal family, Diana charity work was what made her adored by so many. Princess Diana was born Diana Spencer on July 1, 1961. She later became lady Diana after her father became Earl Spencer in 1975. She married prince Charles on July 29, 1981 and had two children together. After being married for 15 years they divorced in 1996. She later died from a car crash in Paris on August 31, 1997. She is remembered as the “People’s Princess” because of her widespread popularity and global humanitarian efforts.biography.com

Princess Diana was like no other member of the royal family. She was seen as a rebel because didn’t follow traditions of the Royal family. Princess Diana was set to making a difference in the world. Some of the many causes she supported and advocated for were the homeless, people with AIDs and banning land mines around the world.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by amina mohamed.
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Hi Amina, It’s great that you already have started writing towards this assignment. I see the emphasis on Princess Diana as the People’s princess but also as an activist. I want to urge you to pick very specific moments of her charity work and reflect on the importance of those specifically. Your second paragraph seems to generally talk about AIDS activism, but it’s much more impactful if you highlight some specific things she did or said or that others have said about her work. Remember Hari’s piece and the way he made us aware of conversations so that we felt connected to Bud Osborne.

DW

Ana da Silva

(Draft)

To build wealth, people invest their money in many different things. Investing allows people to put their money in something that has a potential chance to earn high rates of return. When people talk about investment in today’s business world, one famous and credible name comes to mind: Warren Buffet.  Born in Omaha in 1930, Warren Edward Buffet is known as an American investor, philanthropist, the Chief Executive Officer, President, and Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway. He is one of the most successful investors of all time and is considered the second wealthiest person in the United States. Buffet rose from a modest beginning to become one of the richest men on earth through his hard work and ability in investing. Buffet developed an interest in business and investment in his youth and has learned and eventually molded his investment philosophy during college years. To understand his success, it is fundamental to analyze his career as an investor.

At a young age, Buffet was interested in business and investing, different from regular kids who liked to spend their time playing. In his early years, he used to earn money by selling chewing gum and soft drinks. As a teenager, he started to save and invest his money and by the age of 20, he had saved almost $10,000. He enrolled at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1947 and then changed to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln from where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in business administration. Then, he attended Columbia Business School and earned a Master of Science in economics in 1951. There he had the privilege of attending classes taught by Benjamin Graham, who influenced him with his book, The Intelligent Investor.

With this knowledge, Buffet started on his path to success. After earning his master’s degree in 1951, he sold securities for Buffett-Falk & Company for three years, and then worked for his mentor (Graham) for two years as an analyst at Graham-Newman Corp with a starting salary of $12,000 a year. Using the techniques learned from Graham, Buffet founded the firm Buffet Partnership Ltd. in his hometown, in 1956. By this time, he had a large amount of personal savings. He was successful in identifying undervalued companies and investing his money in them. During the early 1960s he began accumulating shares of the textile company named Berkshire Hathaway and by 1965 he had taken control of the company. In the late 1960s, Buffett shifted Berkshire Hathaway from textiles to insurance. By that time, he was a millionaire.

In the early 1980s, Buffet’s net worth stood at $376 million and increased to $620 million after one year. In 1988, Buffet owned about 7% of the Coca Cola Co. It was considered one of his best investments. By that time, Buffet was a billionaire. He has also served as director of Citigroup Global Markets Holdings, Graham Holdings, and The Gillette Company. In 2008, he became the richest person in the world with a total net worth estimated at $62 billion by Forbes, overtaking Bill Gates who had been the No.1. However, the next year Gates regained the position and Buffet moved to the second position.

Although Warren Buffet is a billionaire, he still lives in the house that he bought in 1958 in Omaha for $31,500; he likes to spend 80% of his day reading; he still uses a Nokia flip phone, and pledges to donate 85% of his Berkshire Hathaway stocks to charitable foundations. He is definitely a person follow and be inspired by.

Sources:

http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffett-incredible-life-2017-1/#buffett-got-hitched-in-1952-7

https://www.biography.com/people/warren-buffett-9230729

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Hi Ana, find my comments in bold:

To build wealth, people invest their money in many different things. Investing allows people to put their money in something that has a potential chance to earn high rates of return. When people talk about investment in today’s business world, one famous and credible name comes to mind: Warren Buffet.  Born in Omaha in 1930, Warren Edward Buffet is known as an American investor, philanthropist, the Chief Executive Officer, President, and Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway. He is one of the most successful investors of all time and is considered the second wealthiest person in the United States. Buffet rose from a modest beginning to become one of the richest men on earth through his hard work and ability in investing. Buffet developed an interest in business and investment in his youth and has learned and eventually molded his investment philosophy during college years. To understand his success, it is fundamental to analyze his career as an investor. This seems to be your angle– but I wonder if you could concise this. Are you interested in the way his youth helped him with being a better investor? 

At a young age, Buffet was interested in business and investing, different from regular kids who liked to spend their time playing. In his early years, he used to earn money by selling chewing gum and soft drinks. As a teenager, he started to save and invest his money and by the age of 20, he had saved almost $10,000. He enrolled at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1947 and then changed to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln from where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in business administration. Then, he attended Columbia Business School and earned a Master of Science in economics in 1951. There he had the privilege of attending classes taught by Benjamin Graham, who influenced him with his book, The Intelligent InvestorRemember the MEAL plan, what is the main idea here? Do you want to talk about how he saved 10,000? Do you want to focus on his interaction with Ben Graham? 

With this knowledge, Buffet started on his path to success. After earning his master’s degree in 1951, he sold securities for Buffett-Falk & Company for three years, and then worked for his mentor (Graham) for two years as an analyst at Graham-Newman Corp with a starting salary of $12,000 a year. Using the techniques learned from Graham, Buffet founded the firm Buffet Partnership Ltd. in his hometown, in 1956. Because you focus in your intro is on “investment” it’s odd to not explain in more detail what “investment techniques” he used.   By this time, he had a large amount of personal savings. He was successful in identifying undervalued companies and investing his money in them. During the early 1960s he began accumulating shares of the textile company named Berkshire Hathaway and by 1965 he had taken control of the company. In the late 1960s, Buffett shifted Berkshire Hathaway from textiles to insurance. By that time, he was a millionaire.

In the early 1980s, Buffet’s net worth stood at $376 million and increased to $620 million after one year. In 1988, Buffet owned about 7% of the Coca Cola Co. It was considered one of his best investments. By that time, Buffet was a billionaire. He has also served as director of Citigroup Global Markets Holdings, Graham Holdings, and The Gillette Company. In 2008, he became the richest person in the world with a total net worth estimated at $62 billion by Forbes, overtaking Bill Gates who had been the No.1. However, the next year Gates regained the position and Buffet moved to the second position. This is a good example of you focusing on ONE particular investment and how it made him rich.

Although Warren Buffet is a billionaire, he still lives in the house that he bought in 1958 in Omaha for $31,500; he likes to spend 80% of his day reading; he still uses a Nokia flip phone, and pledges to donate 85% of his Berkshire Hathaway stocks to charitable foundations. He is definitely a person follow and be inspired by. I don’t think it’s wise to say this if it’s not threaded throughout the entire piece. You never mention Buffett as a person to follow or be inspired by, so it seems sudden and strange to mention it at the end.

yasony
      Participant

I chose Frida Kahlo.

My possible angle is how some difficult circumstances change anybody’s life and make that people become somebody better.

Relevant Information:

• Frida Kahlo was a Mexican painter, who mostly painted self-portraits. Her paints were her way to express her sadness and survive to a world of paint.
      • On September 17, 1925, she had an accident; the bus where she was going from school crash with a streetcar. Several people died, and she suffered serious damages: an iron handrail impaled her through her pelvis fracturing the bone. She also fractured several ribs, legs, and collarbone.
      • While she was recovering at the hospital is when she discovers her love for painting. Therefore, a fatal accident made Frida Kahlo to become the big artist that she was.
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Hi Yasony– I’m interested in a summary of Frida’s “difficult life” but it might be worthwhile to specify what difficulties you want to focus on and WHY. Why is it important to who Frida is? Why is it important that readers remember Frida’s difficulties? What might readers be able to learn from this?

DW

Xheve Mulliqi
      Participant

My summary will be on Angelina Jolie. The angle I choose to write about is how much she has helped and contributed on helping children and adult refugees. Even though she is one of the most successful woman in the world for Jolie nothing would mean anything if she didn’t live a life of use for others.  I’m including her speech when she is honored for humanitarian work.

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Dear Xheve, Interesting angle to take with Angelina Jolie– her humanitarian work will certainly give you a lot to talk about. I wonder if you might narrow your purpose– why talk about her and her humanitarian work? Is it of particular importance in today’s world? What do you think readers can gain from hearing that part of her life?

Looking forward to reading this piece!

DW

Jennifer Madrid
      Participant

QUESTION

Do we have to cite? I am doing a letter format but I’m using information and facts that I will obviously acquire from the internet. So if we do have to cite, how do we go about that??

Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Hi Jennifer– good question! To cite, for now, I’d just include the author’s last name in parenthesis. “Peter the apostle was born…. ” (James).  Because we didn’t go over APA citations yet, I won’t be grading you on it.

TitilayoUsiera
      Participant

This is my introduction and part of my body paragraph.

Attachments:
      Nathalie Roa
      Participant

My summary of a person, wanted you to read it before is finished.

Attachments:

This is my full summary, I took your recommendations and tried to make it flow a little better

Attachments:
      Carla Landa

Summary of a person assignment

Attachments:
      Dhipinder Walia
      Keymaster

Wow, Geri, what a story you’ve got here. I wondered if you might consider narrowing the purpose of this piece a bit more. Are you going to focus on Logic’s childhood to talk about concepts like resilience and trauma? Or are you going to focus on his childhood to shed light on drug abuse? Are you going to focus on the WAY Logic used to poetry to survive to shed light on writing and the arts?

With such good material here, you want to make sure you’ve got a purpose figured out so it doesn’t become too much information in too little space.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.