English Composition 121

Five Paragraph Essay Article Response

After reading the article, I noticed that the author would emphasize the importance of teaching students different ways of expressing their thoughts clearly and fluidly rather than learning how to go by the template five paragraph “document” that needs to be filled with pointless clutter words in order to fulfill its standardized appearance, “Even at its inception, the five paragraph essay was a tool of convenience and standardization” p. 3.

I agree with the author’s perspective and believe that students should be encouraged to be creative in expressing their thoughts when it comes to essay format to how they believe it seems appropriate.

All original work of writers that we praise and value stands out because of its unique style, so its contradicting that we only teach students to function as writing machines rather than innovators. “In reality, every piece of writing is a custom job, not a modular home” p 7.  It is important to let students have choices that writers must navigate.

I believe that in order to learn a skill such as creative writing, then that specific skill should be practiced, rather than “focusing on basics first” as there is little evidence that this happens as the author mentioned.

One thought on “Five Paragraph Essay Article Response