English Composition 121

A Glimpse at Me

A former version that I would like to go back and visit would be my childhood in the Dominican Republic. After many years living in the U.S I underestimated my time there. It was so distinct from New York, the neighborhood, the climate and the energy overall. In the United States, the people are too focused in technology that they forget about the little things in life. I remember that life was so simple and I appreciated things more. This takes me back to the countryside where I used to ride  horses and play with my cousins about the lost diamond, it was very fun.

I wish I knew more and had more knowledge about my grandmother because of her experiences and her background. I know that I can get to know her more by interviewing her and getting to know her in a more personal level. She has many special memories about her childhood and when the Dominican Republic was ruled by a dictator. When I was little I remember her talking about her descendants as well as my grandfather, how they descended from tainos and how they had relatives in Spain. By investigating her I would get a glimpse of who I am and who I descended from.

A local event that I remember hearing is the suffering that is occurring in Venezuela. The people around the world think that Maduro, the current president of Venezuela, is responsible for everything that is occurring such as the “hunger, diseases, and protests.” Nonetheless, they are mistaken because since Venezuela is enriched by petroleum and having the largest reserve in the world, the United States being the empire that has always been wants to intervene so that they could have access to it. The United States has used yellow journalism to blind the people so that they can control Venezuela, the rich people are protesting not the poor. Maduro is trying to diverge the U.S away from Venezuela and in doing so the U.S is trying to damage Maduro’s image, “dictator.” For instance, the Dominican Republic highly depends in the U.S economy and if the U.S economy collapses the Dominican economy would also collapse. Contemporarily, the peso, D.R currency, the value is diminishing.

An artist that really moved me was Cosimo de Medici Dome in Florence. He was a member of the family the Medici and since his family was involved in banking and politics he did not had any possibility of becoming an architecture since he was going to rule the bank. This piece of art moved me because he was so passionate and highly interested in making his dreams a reality. Cosimo believed in the power and the expression that art had. Determination and passion made his dream come true and he did hired the best architecture to pursue his dream. In contemporary society, the Dome is in a cathedral in Florence.

One thought on “A Glimpse at Me

1. Dhipinder Walia

Your post about your grandmother reminds me of Julia Alvarez. Have you read her work? She talks a lot about Trujillo’s dictatorship. There’s also a great poem by Rita Dove titled Parsley. IT’s haunting, but so good.