English Composition 121

Blog Post 3 (in class)

(1)

Something in my life that I still want an apology for is for being bullied in elementary school. I would want an apology for this because being bullied made me very depressed during my childhood, and I would like to know that these people feel remorse for bullying me. I would get this apology by confronting my past bullies and explaining to them how depressed they made me feel when I was younger, and hoping that they feel remorse for what they did and apologize. My life would change because I would finally feel like I can let go of the negative feelings I have towards them to this day, and I can let go of these memories (even though I rarely think about it in recent years).

(2)

What former version of yourself would you like to go back and visit. Why?

I would like to go back and visit myself in High School. I would like to visit myself in these years because during High School I suffered a lot from depression for a variety of reasons (mostly due to the fact that these were the years when I was confronted with my true sexuality and I didn’t want to come to terms with this, nor did I really know how to). I would ask myself why I let certain things consume me and cause me to feel really depressed since my fears were mostly just thoughts that only existed in my mind, not in reality.

(3)*

I wish I knew more about my grandfather on my mother’s side. My mother’s father died from lung cancer before I was born, and I would like to know more about him than the fact that he was an Italian immigrant who converted to Judaism before marrying my grandmother. I could find out about this by either pressing my mother or grandmother (even though they don’t like talking about him), or maybe looking through databases and archives. This would change me by allowing me to be more in touch with my ancestry as well as my roots. I never really felt like I had any connection to any foreign country since all my living relatives were born in America, and knowing more about them would help give me a better sense of my origins.

(4)*

A local event that I remember hearing about is the defacing of bathrooms in Brooklyn College with swastikas a few years ago. I would like to know what was going through this person’s head, why he has a hatred for jews, and why would he commit an act like this that instills fear in the minds of innocent students. I would like to talk about this event with both Jewish students at the college to know how this event made them feel and how they coped, and talk to people who have prejudice towards Jews and maybe even committed this act to find out why they have such hatred towards Jews and why they would think an act like this is justified.

(5)

artist or piece of art moved you, what you know about process, what more would you like to know.

A piece of art that moved me was  Vincent Van Gough’s Starry Night. This piece of art moved me because I first saw it in elementary school and I wondered how someone could create such as beautiful and detailed painting that also has so much meaning on such a small canvas. I know that this artwork was created first by figuring out what you want to paint and how you want to portray it, and then by actually painting it and making it detailed. I would like to know what the actual painter thinks it represents. I know what my art teacher and I think it means, but it would be interesting to know what  the artist himself thinks of the piece too so I could gain a further understanding of the painting.

One thought on “Blog Post 3 (in class)

1. Dhipinder Walia

I was attending BC when that happened! Brooklyn College has a long history of anti-semitic and anti-Islamic incidents. It would be such a good idea to see if you can connect these events with your personal project on ethnicity and Judaism.