English Composition 121

Where the Magic Happens

The main place where I will write my project is my bedroom. No surprise there. My room has recently undergone a couple of changes which I am very proud of.

The walls were once a dark grey color which is my favorite color. The curtains were black and blocked out the sun. I basically lived in a little dark cave. My bed always has grey sheets. The bed frame and tall dresser are made of a light colored wood. I have an ikea dresser in white and an ikea bookshelf that is probably as old as I am. A rusty orange colored cart holds all my makeup next to my ikea dresser. There’s a mirror with butterfly decals resting on top of a guitar amp. I don’t actually play the guitar but the amp prevents the mirror from falling and I also think it looks cute. My room is sort of awkward because I have two closets and the door to the rest of the house which leaves me only one corner to position my bed.

The house I live in is old and the men who were working on it before I moved in didn’t do an amazing job. They cut corners to save money, to be expected. So, my walls developed cracks despite only living in this house for a couple of years. I stared at these cracks and this one gaping hole for months, maybe even years since I can’t even remember when they appeared. I asked my dad to fix it, never happened. Then my mom came home with paint from her job. A cute light pink color but why paint my room when I have the ugliest looking walls?

I’m the type of person that randomly decides to do something. So one day I decided why wait on an unreliable man to do something for me when I have two working hands and a more than capable mind. I knew we had tools in the basement so that made my task a little easier. I watched maybe ten or so youtube videos on plastering, caulking, taping corners, tips and tricks for painting. I removed my curtain rods and filled the holes where they were previously screwed in. I cracked open my wall and scraped out as much dust and loose particles that I could with a screwdriver. For one corner I decided to fill it with caulking instead of plaster, that was easy enough. However, the large hole was much more difficult, the plaster wouldn’t stick. It ended up making a mess, there were little chunks of plaster on the floor which I stepped on and later had to scrape off. A couple hours later, I started sanding down the holes that I filled. I begun prepping for painting, removing furniture, taping down plastic tarp, wiping down the walls.

Now I have light pink walls, it only took three days of painting. (I say that with annoyance, I had to sleep with my mother for two of those nights.) Woohoo! I accomplished something and was so proud but forgot that I had removed my curtains to place them higher up. Back to youtube, “how to install curtain rods properly.” For some odd reason that worried me more than when I had further tore up my wall to plaster. I had to drill into my walls to install curtain rods, and I was supposed to make sure I drilled into a stud. That was too much work for me, I just decided “Hey let me just drill where I want these curtain rods and pray for the best.” One of them is lopsided now but considering I’m not a professional so I’m still happy with the end result. I changed the black curtains for sheer grey ones.

After that mini renovation, my room was clean for about a month before my old habit of being a slob kicked back into overdrive. I’m pretty sure my room doesn’t look that much different than it did a year ago. I still have the same furniture, same piles of books on the floor, an overpiling stack of clean clothes that I am too lazy to fold, a huge bag of laundry that needs to get done and makeup littered all across the top of my dressers.

All that is besides the point, I put a lot of effort into making my room somewhat better. I don’t have to look at a hole in the wall, I’m not living in a cave like a hibernating mole rat anymore. But writing this is making me realize I should probably clean my room.

My room is basically a representation of me. My head is also very disorganized, I pay attention to the wrong things, I change a lot mostly out of boredom. I know having more light come into my room makes me more productive. There’s many memories in this bedroom which will help me write my autoethnography.

One thought on “Where the Magic Happens

1. Dhipinder Walia

Thanks, Jolaynie. Congrats on your HGTV skills! While I enjoyed the explanation of painting your room, I was most fascinated by your final lines, “My room is basically a representation of me. My head is also very disorganized, I pay attention to the wrong things, I change a lot mostly out of boredom. I know having more light come into my room makes me more productive. There’s many memories in this bedroom which will help me write my auto ethnography.” I wondered what you mean by paying attention to the wrong things and how that will manifest in your writing. I also was unsure of whether the memories that will help you write your project are related to the renovation of your room or if you were referring to other memories. I’ll be curious to see the relationship your room has to the content of your writing project.

DW