English Composition 121

Summary of Rihanna

Reader’s note: pay particular attention to the way the writer integrates her own experience of having an accent with Rihanna’s. 

Being a young girl coming to this country English became my second language. My accent plays a huge role of being an immigrant just like Rihanna. Specially in elementary school those were my toughest times. Rihanna is a woman who carries a strong character. Her strong character endures her to not only being able to cope with challenges but also focusing on what is important. The things that are important to her is being successful and embracing the person that she really is. Being herself means English being her second language. Therefore, she carries an accent with pride. Rihanna adjusting to her accent was the same way I adjusted to mine.

She is a woman that didn’t allow the critics to get to her. She will not allow the things she can’t change to affect her. She will push aside the critics and carry on with her duties.

Rihanna in the video “Rihanna on her accent” by the ThecelebFactory says, “She is not very good with doing other accents but she had to learn to adjust”. Adjusting is an important factor of life because it goes on to so much more than just an accent it goes on to a lifestyle. She adds on to say, when she is in interviews she wants to make sure that her accent doesn’t take away from what she is trying to say. She goes over the things she has to say to make sure to perfect it. In this video, she also claims that the hardest parts are the vowels and how everything is workable. When she refers to things being workable, she wants to let people know that you can always work out something. There is no need to place a burden on yourself. There is always room for improvement.

Rihanna uses her Anti album to tell the world she does things her own way. Here she wants to let people know that she just wants to grow. In addition, the Anti album goes hand in hand with her accent because her accent is part of her character. She is unique in her own way and she will embrace her imperfections as anyone else should. The things that she done and still does are the things that have always motivated me. “The article Talking tactics: Rihanna and the pop stars who change accent” by The Guardian mentions an interview in which she says, “I can be whoever the fuck I want nobody knows who I am”. I truly agree with this statement because an accent does not define a person. A person is so much more than just a language, is more about what they’re capable of doing and how they can pass that. The way someone deals with those types of situations says a lot about them. Furthermore, the way she has dealt with it has definitely made a statement. As she also says in her song Diamond, “Shine bright like a diamond”.

Robyn Rihanna Fenty was born February 20,1988. She was born in Barbados and is a singer, songwriter, and actress. In 2003 she recorded demo tapes under Evan rogers and also signed a recording contract with Def Jam Recordings. In 2005, Rihanna’s fame began to raise with the release of her debut studio album Music of the Sun, her follow up was her album in 2006 A Girl like Me. After that she became recognized by the public and her hits continued to be heard. She actually began by forming a musical trio with two of her classmates. The moment Rihanna walked into the studio it was as the two other girl’s didn’t exist.

To conclude, Rihanna has been making statements from the moment she began her career. Her strong character, her sense of independence, her public image and her pride have taken her far in life. Those are things that people can notice right away, and are the things that will continue to make her rise. Coping with an accent the way she did has been the best way for me. Even though I still have things to work on, I will continue to just prove myself and the world that everything is possible as long as you try.

Written by Nathalie Roa