English Composition 121

Picture analysis!

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #38
      Dhipinder Walia
      Keymaster

Upload your picture alongside a 4 to 6 sentence analysis.

• #315
      Sofia Yanez
      Participant

When I received this picture I immediately burst into laughter. Not often do you see a stuffed unicorn sitting on top of an adult walker. However, as I zoomed into the picture I noticed that not only is it surrounded by garbage, but the stuffed unicorn is taped to the walker. Did the original owner intend to throw out both items? What is the purpose of taping a stuffed unicorn to the walker? Well, I can’t speak for the owner but if I were to guess I would say that he or she has a strange sense of humor and wanted the walker to look more appealing.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      • #355
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

This made me laugh too! Thanks for sharing.

• #410
        Ralph Rodriguez
        Participant

This relates stuffed unicorn sitting on top of an adult walker. I would agree with your view except, there is a reason why it was taped. It might be an interpretation of the person feeling that way in life.

• #443
        maria vuginshteyn
        Participant

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this picture was that who would really tap a unicorn to a walker. Who really had time to go to that extreme? LOL The picture made me laugh, the unicorn was so cute though. When I zoomed into the photo, it looks like the walker is still in good condition. I think that whoever threw it out wanted the unicorn to be part of the walker if someone possibly wanted to pick it and take it from the trash. Id have to say whoever did it had a wacky sense of humor.

• #320

When I first saw this picture I thought there were words written in blood. The words “Life Is Beautiful” is written in red paint that has the impression of blood dripping on an ugly wall. I think who ever wrote this did this intentionally to grab the attention of people passing by. It made me think the artist’s message is life is beautiful even with the hardships. It looks like it is in a place where there is poverty and crimes. The person is trying to let others know that the problems their facing are part of life, and that like the wall life isn’t perfect.

Attachments:
      • #356
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

I appreciate the interpretation of the image here. There is a way in which the coloring, the style of the font, and the background all work to serve the idea of life being wonderful because of hardships.

• #383
        Lissette Pichardo
        Participant

Hey Amina I’m one of the students from professor Dhipinder Walia class ENG 121. I want give you a shoutout because as soon as I saw this image I could completely identify for the person that draw and took this image. However, going back to the analysis part I also see the phrase “life is beautiful.” What I think the author of this image is trying to explain to us that everyone think that life is beautiful, no matter the struggle, the suffering and the sacrifices we make day by day. I feel that us as individual have to go through many difficult situations in every phase of our life in today society. But no matter how hard life is we always need to see the positive side of it and to also think of the positive or negative outcomes that our decisions could have in our lives. Additionally, life is beautiful if you try to make it beautiful. I love the image great job!

• #384
        Kimberly Collazo
        Participant

Amina I am in Professor D.W online english class and through all the pictures I seen this was by far my favorite one. I think with this picture we are able to take away a certain message no matter how cracked up, broken, or messy it is there is still some kind of beauty that you can find within! Thanks for sharing this!

• #411
        Ralph Rodriguez
        Participant

This relates to “Life Is Beautiful”. I agree with most of your perception. I have some other thoughts about it though. This message, seems to be purposely placed among other messages around it or this was the only space available. Also, there is a face at the bottom right side. A man with a mask covering his face. Since it is part of the message, I would say this person is hiding their true feelings publicly but, expressing it while not revealing who they are. Also, they could have used another color but used red. This could be a symbol of a past or present relationship but with the understanding, that “life is beautiful”. An indication made with heart symbols.

• #322
      Jennifer Madrid
      Participant

I pass by this field everyday but this image is captivating because it captures how a college with 10,000 plus students can appear to be empty (with the exception of a single man mowing the perfectly green lawn).  It’s a bright day and although it’s not completely evident, it appears that fall is approaching, considering all of the dry leaves that have fallen to the ground. It invokes in me, a sense of comfort and security. I’ve only been a college student for a month, yet seeing this image brings a familiarity and even appreciation for the college that I’m attending. The lack of ruckus, the tranquility that is present, and the measures that are being taken to take care of the school, seems inviting and confirms to me, that Lehman College truly is my new  second home.

Attachments:
      • #357
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

What a wonderful reminder of our campus. I am especially drawn to your points about the field’s emptiness being “tranquil.”
        I see it as proof we don’t take advantage of our campus grounds!

• #324

When I first saw the photo it gave me a tranquil, harmonic and peaceful feeling because I can see two women relaxing on their doorsteps and enjoying the sunlight. It appears that they are living a stress free life in a suburban townhouse or at least they are taking a break outside. However, the picture also raises racial questions. It is unclear whether the two ladies are simply good friends or neighbors, or whether the colored lady might be a servant in the white woman’s house. Despite the lack of clarity the picture gives us the impression that their relationship is very intimate.

Attachments:
    • #328
      Ana da Silva
      Member

This picture shows a sunny day, probably between the end of fall and beginning of winter. In addition, there are some trees that are already dried, one with its red leaves, and also a pine tree. In the back of the trees, there are a lake and a bridge. This place is probably a park where people can spend their day relaxing and enjoying the simple things.

Attachments:
      • #359
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Does the image remind you of anything? Or did you find anything interesting about the way the image was taken?

• #394

Hello Ana, my name is Albanellys and i am one of professor Walia’s ENG 121 online class student. I can not agree more with you that this image represents the end of a season.  The image makes me think about cozy scarves, delicious homemade pies, time to spent with families and love ones. Besides that it shows how our surroundings are always changing and developing into something different from what it was today.  Also a place where you can be relaxed and spent a time just thinking about what is yet to come.

• #330
      Tanjum Nusrat
      Participant

In this picture, I can see that a group of students are passing a good time together. Having good friends in school has many positive sides. For example, they can help you with school works, support you in bad times etc. Their friendship is diverse because there’s multiple ethnicity. Having friends from different ethnicity is amazing because you get to know about different cultures and their lifestyle.

Attachments:
      • #360
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

It’s fascinating to consider an image has proof of something as complicated as promotion of positivity in school, but I’m sure if you did some more close reading of the image and talked about brightness and smiles, you could prove it!

• #332
      Rushane Hutchinson
      Participant

I was sent four photos each individually different but something about this one stood out the most. It reminded me of a poem that Nikki Giovanni recited about a rose that grew from concrete. After examining the photo I noticed there wasn’t any other flowers around. It made me think of self and isolation, the idea of being comfortable in one’s own solitude. I believe this photo is also a symbol of resilience in the sense that there might of been other flowers that were planted around the same time but this one was the only one strong enough to withstand the changing of the seasons because based on the texture of the soil it seems to be planted in a desert like environment.

Attachments:
      • #412
        Ralph Rodriguez
        Participant

This relates to the flower in concrete foundation. Yes, I agree with your view. It is interesting that this flower looks so healthy with such poor foundation. I would think, such a thing would not grow in the environment it is in.

• #415
        Passion
        Participant

This picture is symbolizing the fact that one can stand strong even when things around are not good. The flower was probably lacking its proper nutrients to live and grow but it still survived. This flower reminds me of the idea of being a strong woman, standing alone in tough situations but yet still able to survive and do it with such beauty and grace.

• #334
      Carla Landa
      Member

This picture stood out to me because there are a variety of colors. It shows a deli and pink floor. There’s also two men playing dominos in a table outside the deli. Its really interesting that part of the picture shows a woman, you can see part of her hair, her skin, and see that she’s wearing an off shoulder apparel. In this picture what stood out to me were the flowers. It’s two different flowers, they’re very colorful and they really captured my eyes. Some of the questions I ask myself when I see this picture are why are the flowers included, maybe she just . bought them, and why is the floor outside the deli is pink? why are the two men outside playing dominoes? Does the woman have anything to do with one of the men? or just someone passing by. I can tell this takes place during the day because of the colors and its not dark. I like how this picture has a lot of details and they’re well shown and I like the different colors together in a picture.

Attachments:
      • #361
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

You might consider answering any of the questions you pose and using your answer as an interpretation of the image.

• #338
      Larissa De La Rosa
      Participant

This image artistically depicts the innate beauty and delicacy of the feminine mind. The flowers taking the place of the head are meant to show beauty, as the beauty of a woman is often compared to roses. It also shows the delicacy of the feminine mind since flowers easily get trampled and withered and females tend to be portrayed as being fragile. All of this is an innate part of the female, as demonstrated by the  stems coming up from the bottom as opposed to bulbs just popping out on top. This beauty and delicacy naturally grows inside of women; it cannot be fabricated.

Attachments:
      • #362
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

I would continue with this analysis as you have your interpretation here– it’s about feminine beauty. Use more close reading of the tattoo to help support some of your points about it being innate and from within.

• #340
      Nathalie Roa
      Participant

This picture made me feel thoughtful. It made me wonder if it is sunset or sunrise.  It also seemed like a desolated place.  A lot of nature around it. What made me really curious is the reason why the side mirrors on the car are broken. If they are broken or is that a reflection of something. Was there a fight? Did someone get hurt? It sort of gives me a thought of sadness.

Attachments:
      • #363
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Thank you Nathalie– what if you begin your analysis by interpreting this photo as one of sadness. You can support your interpretation through your details about the broken mirror.

• #388
        Natasa Vuljevic
        Participant

This picture first and foremost represents a peaceful evening; an ending of another beautiful sunny day in the country. It reminds me of back home and that is the reason I can connect to  it spiritually. I can imagine being there, driving on that road at that time of the day and listening to a mellow music. I can enjoy watching the sun go down, which feels so close, like it’s right in front of me. As I am enjoying every moment of this sunset, it gives me peace and hope for another day tomorrow. What I love the most about this picture is the nature that it represents. There are no big buildings, houses, gray concrete or bridges that are standing in between me and the sunset. I see untouched nature and purity. Watching at this picture, makes me feel free and nature in it  represents life, hope and opportunities.

• #342
      Kristina Vuceljic
      Participant

When I first saw this picture I thought it was a man with a bunch of puppets on his hand. Turns out I was correct, the puppets on this man or artists hand symbolize how society is perceived as money, depression, love etc.  Artists make music and set this trend that many people voluntarily follow daily. They have the power to control people, take their money and influence their behaviors.

Attachments:
      • #364
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

I’m fascinated by the way you interpret this image as proof that artists have all of the control.

• #393
        Monica Tufuor
        Participant

I really liked this image that you posted. When I clicked on the image, I didn’t think of anything besides it’s just an artistic way of drawing muppets. However, after reading your interpretation of the image, I see the meaning behind this image. It is true that artists control their listeners through their music and other work of arts.  Artists contribute to how a person behaves in life even though it might not be obvious.

• #401
        Kaladji Diaby
        Participant

when I see this photo I thought instantly it is beautiful. The design and how the artist made the photo come so live. they did an amazing job at grasping the concept of sorrow the rapper himself, A-Boggie faced during his life. It also grasps how he became a wealthy rapper after he succeeded with his music business.

• #413
        Ralph Rodriguez
        Participant

This relates to the hand with the puppet sketches on paper. This is an interesting piece. The hand has two sets of rings which means some sort of commitment. But, the interesting thing is the selection of the sketches and the direction they face. It seems love, mask on face and sadness are facing upward and money and the cradle of the face is facing downward. I sense love is being uncovered while the cost of it is heading downward.

• #344
      TitilayoUsiera
      Participant

My first impression when I saw the picture was that the people are going on a picnic. Then, i took a good look at the surrounding. There are grasses, trees and and the houses around them look so unkempt compared to their own dressing. I now changed my thought that they might be going on a trip to a resort centre. Also, they all appear to be Muslims which means they are of the same religion and female both adult and young. They look so happy which indicate they are not afraid of the environment, but looking forward to reach their destination.

Attachments:
      • #367
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

what makes you think they are looking forward to reach their destination, aside from the happiness? Is there any way you could use details from the picture to support this?

• #346

<p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>One of the first things I noticed in the picture is that both of the children here are paying attention to technology. This almost instantly makes me think that kids today are a lot more connected to technology than ever before and that has been a rather popular issue for a debate than ever before with one side of that argument being that kids shouldn’t be focused on tech and instead they should be playing outside or trying to make friends with other kids, and the other side of that argument being that kids should have that technology available to them because it can help them develop and even help stimulate the way they learn. Another thing I noticed, and it isn’t nearly as meaningful as the last comment, but it’s that both of the children are making the same pose. Both have a hand underneath their chin while they stare at the their screens. My guess is that they are watching or playing something educational as it looks like they are in a classroom.</span></p>

Attachments:
      • #368
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

What if you took the similar pose to interpret this image as a commentary on our general relationship to technology?

• #414
        Ralph Rodriguez
        Participant

This relates to the picture of both the children paying attention to technology. I agree with your first perspective. Technology is definitely playing a role here. But, the more interesting part of this is that on the left side, there is another screen. It seems to be involving a game. Whatever is being viewed is so interesting that the young girl is paying no mind to the side distraction.

• #350
      yasony
      Participant

My first impression of this photo was: what a beauty! Then, i started to see again. I saw that it is a photo from an airplane of Jetblue airline. I asked myself why to select this airline? How high could be this plane? Where it is going? Watching the sky i wondered would it be a sunrise or an evening? But anyway, this photo made me feel peace and tranquility. In an occasion, i read that colors can influence the temper and feeling of people. Likewise,  people can feel and express feelings depending on the colors they wear. This image has a lot of blue color. According to what i read, blue makes to feel tranquility. For this reason, i think I felt calm.

Attachments:
      • #369
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

I love the attention to the impact the image has on the audience. you might use this technique when analyzing an image for the next assignment. First, asking yourself how do you react to this image and then backtracking and figuring out why you’re having this reaction.

• #352
      Renee M
      Participant

Photo Analysis: Exchange Assignment

Attachments:
      • #371
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

I appreciate the interpretation of the image as proof that friendship does not need to involve fancy dinners. I also appreciated the details you provide of the women looking battered.

• #365
      Abegale
      Member

This picture really hit home for me because it is so true. My interpretation of this photo was that under everything, we are all the same. No matter what you look like on the outside, on the inside we look exactly the same. This also reminds me of the saying that we all bleed to the same. Also I think the picture is trying to let it be known that everyone shouldn’t look at skin color to create difference when at the end of the day, we are all the same. Before everything else, we are all human .

Attachments:
      • #370
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

This is great– you’ve got a bunch of interpretations here, now it would be worthwhile to prove one of these interpretations by zooming into the details of the image (coloring, positioning, what the images are doing, etc).

• #405
        Shainah Moore
        Participant

Hi Abegale! I absolutely love this picture that you chose! I think that it means a lot and it says a lot about humanity.  We are all one in the same, we do bleed and have the same organs.  But our surface is different.  In stead of focusing on surface to see who’s better or superior, or who’s little and inferior, we can look at how differently unique we are and learn from others and grow and become better people!   Great posting

• #374
      Xheve Mulliqi
      Participant

The image remains me immediately of the most frequently occurring natural disasters that is happening now days in many countries around world. From the image I can see streets turned into rivers. Villagers forced to wade through wasted deep water. They are still trying to protect their self from the rain with umbrellas even though their legs are fully wet.The image can tell that   floods can have a monumental affect on people’s lives if they are involved in such a natural disaster. The major effects of floods are destruction of life and property. The image represents the danger that people are in losing their life due to floods and  rendering homeless.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Xheve Mulliqi.
      Attachments:
    • #385

My picture analysis.

Attachments:
      • #387
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Is this a final submission? or a draft?

• #398

a draft

• #402
            Dhipinder Walia
            Keymaster

In that case–I’d like you to review the intro and the conclusion– both are too generalized and don’t make it clear that you’re interested in interpreting this image in a certain way.When you mention the importance of war in your conclusion, I’d be curious to hear more about how that is related to the point you make in your first body paragraph about the subject having a gun.

I’d also suggest identifying if this piece will be talked about as a “picture” or as a “sculpture.”

• #399
      Kaladji Diaby
      Participant

In this image, Muslim from around the world, from different ethnic backgrounds all came together to fulfill one of the pillars of Islam, which is pilgrimage to Mecca. In the photo, the men and women of Islam are facing the Kaaba, is a building that was built by Prophet Ibrahim (pbuh) and his son Prophet Ismail (pbuh) at the center of Islam’s most sacred mosque, known as Al-Masjid Al-Haram. If you focus your eyes on the box-like building in the center of the photo, you will notice that everyone’s focus is on that building, known as the Kaaba because in Islam, everyone from around the world pray facing the Kaaba. The black cloak covering the Kaaba, is handmade and it is dressed in a different cloak every year. On the side of the Kaaba, there is a black stone is attached to it which was sent down from paradise by Allah (swt). As narrated by Prophet Muahmmed (pbuh), the black stone was whiter than milk, but it has turned black by the sins of Adam (pubh).

Attachments:
      • #403
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

thank you for sharing, Kaladji! It’s especially interesting to hear you break down the picture in terms of the Kaaba, what is near it, on it, and its context.

• #406
      Shainah Moore
      Participant

I choose this photo because I actually took this picture last year while driving on the high way.  I was randomly holding my sunglasses up and saw this beautiful image, and took my phone a snapped a picture through the lens of my frames.

This picture was powerful to me because through the lens, it seems a bit dark, but the sun and the ray are shining through the clouds.  sometimes in life, things can be sad or dark, we can experience tough times, but there is always hope shining through in every situation.  As soon as I took this picture that’s what its represented to me.  This picture has a certain hopeful spirit. And also encouraging.

I do have a love for taking nature related pictures, because besides the natural beauty that it captures, I can always find deeper spiritual meaning with in the picture.

Attachments:
    • #408
      Marlon Lopez
      Participant

The image reflects a firefighter’s determination to do his duty. I believe this prayer is the reflection of a firefighter’s thoughts before putting his life at risk. Before he takes the decision to step into a fire, this is what ignites his inner strength. The image shows that bravery isn’t the lack of fear, but his determination in the face of fear. The image also shows his drive to save a life no matter the age of the person.

Attachments:
    • #433
      kassandra sustache
      Participant

The picture I chose is of a wall with graffiti written on it. The walls appear to be from the underground subway. The graffiti written on the main wall says, “Question Everything”. The wall with that writing is the only part lighted by the light above. The rest of the walls are in darkness. I interpret this image as to reflect society. The darkness of the hall represents society which is mostly kept in the dark about important matters. The lighted wall that questions is telling us to question those in power that keep us secluded in the dark. Asking for questions will shine light to our society.

• #436

wow. powerful image Abegale.  This shows us that despite everything going on with the world, racism, war, and hatred, inside we are all the same. I also believe its trying to depict unity in the way they’re holding hands. Purposely putting the white and black hands to show us standing together and they xray to show how inside we are all the same.  Maybe some interracial marriage meanings too? Since its such a big deal. Just a thought.

• #440

Kassandra’s image is very interesting because for me it representing us as being curious about what is going on around the world. Also, it is like we need answers to the everything; for example, people are not being kind to each others, poverty, and the abuse of drug, etc.

• #438

Hi everyone! Professor your picture for me it shows a sunning day where friends or colleagues are discussing ideas. It is gathering where they are having a meal. I also see some people smiling, therefore, the conversation and food are excellent. In addition, the background of where this picture was taking, it makes me believe that was in Summer season. The reason why is because I see the green trees and the sun is shining.

• #358
      Dhipinder Walia
      Keymaster

What if you transformed your “He is a true hero…” into an interpretation of the image? That way, you’d spend your analysis proving why he is a true hero using specific words in the image, and maybe even the stance of the subject in the image?

• #379
      Rafael Azcona
      Participant

Hello Geri, my name is Rafael and i am in professor Walia’s eng 121 online class. I agree that firemen are like human angels because of how they selflessly go in to save someone when facing such a fire. I would like to provide my own analysis of this picture which also echoes some of your sentiments as well.

First the silhouette of the fireman facing the fiery hell that awaits him up ahead is a strong image. I assume that he is walking towards the fire and not just standing because of his left leg being in front of his right leg. This represents the bravery of the firemen because they walk towards the unknown in order to save lives. Not knowing if there is anyone there to save or if the person there is even still alive but they still walk towards that danger because it is their job to save lives. The poem or prayer is just as strong as the image of the fireman, and reflects the same message of bravery and selflessness of the firefighters that put on that uniform. The following that says “give me strength to save some life whatever be its age. Help me embrace a little child Before it is too late, Or save an older person from the horror of that fate” delivers a vivid imagery of a fireman who acts without prejudice in order to bring someone back home safely. The selflessness that it takes is exemplary, and the image as a whole delivers a strong message about what their thought process is as well as their courage and strength.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Rafael Azcona.
    • #381
      Rafael Azcona
      Participant

<p class=”p1″>Hello Geri, my name is Rafael and i am in professor Walia’s eng 121 online class. I agree that firemen are like human angels because of how they selflessly go in to save someone when facing such a fire. I would like to provide my own analysis of this picture which also echoes some of your sentiments as well.</p>
      <p class=”p1″>First the silhouette of the fireman facing the fiery hell that awaits him up ahead is a strong image. I assume that he is walking towards the fire and not just standing because of his left leg being in front of his right leg. This represents the bravery of the firemen because they walk towards the unknown in order to save lives. Not knowing if there is anyone there to save or if the person there is even still alive but they still walk towards that danger because it is their job to save lives. The poem or prayer is just as strong as the image of the fireman, and reflects the same message of bravery and selflessness of the firefighters that put on that uniform. The following that says “give me strength to save some life whatever be its age. Help me embrace a little child Before it is too late, Or save an older person from the horror of that fate” delivers a vivid imagery of a fireman who acts without prejudice in order to bring someone back home safely. The selflessness that it takes is exemplary, and the image as a whole delivers a strong message about what their thought process is as well as their courage and strength.</p>

• #395
      Fredrick Owobu
      Participant

The image reminded me of Martin Luther King Jr when he said “life’s most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others? Here is a fireman, courageous and determined to render selfless service to humanity even to the point of his death. ” To save some life whatever be its age” and To guard my every neighbor” shows that his concern is for the safety of all. Non-discriminatory to the Young or old, wealthy, or poor, and white or colored. He understands that he might lose his life in the process yet undeterred in his pursuit to make a rescue. It is indeed to call to duty for everyone, to prepare for the task ahead and render selfless service to the best of their ability. Fearlessness, courage, determination, selflessness, and service to humanity are what the world needs to make it a better place for all of us.

• #397
      Lourdes Mojica
      Participant

Hey, Geri My name is Lourdes Mojica I am in Professor DW online course. The first thing that came to mind when I saw this image was courage. The firefighters are courages human beings with a passionate soul. They put their lives at risk to save others. It is important for them to protect those they surve. This image is powerful because  firefighters are not just city workers, they are human putting everything at risk for a greater reward, saving those in need.  Every time duty calls they must pray so they can come back home to their loves ones. Indeed this is a beautiful image.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.