English Composition 121

Summary of a concept

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #24
      Dhipinder Walia
      Keymaster

Fill us in on what you’re planning on summarizing for this assignment. Links are welcomed, drafts with starter sentences are appreciated!

• #269

My summary of a concept

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      • #304
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Thanks for this draft, Amina.
        I do appreciate your concise summary of topography and culture– I only wanted to understand its connection to geography. Perhaps if you could edit your intro to include the reason why we must understand geography through culture and topography that would help. Also consider answering the SO WHAT question within your piece. Why should readers understand this? Do you feel readers are unaware of geography as it relates to topography and culture?

• #286
      John Cherry
      Participant

John, Geri

There are many concepts that are used to help people in their daily life. SWOT Analysis, which stands for “Strenghts, Weaknesses, opportunities, and threats”  is one of those concepts. The origin of the concept is unknown but is mostly used in the business world. Although mostly used in the business world, regular people can benefit from this as well.

In the business world SWOT analysis can help you focus on your strengths and minimize your threats by understanding yourself. Understanding yourself doesnt only apply to helping the business world, it also helps in your daily life. For example, say if you’re at a party and you see this girl staring at you. With SWOT analysis you will be able to know how to approach her because you will know the risk, pros, and cons of approaching her. If you know you are a person who is bad at small talk then you can go do an activity like beer pong with her. Now, if you are good at making small talk you know it will be easy to make good conversation with her. As you can see strengh

• #297
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

What an analogy! SWOT and Dating. I enjoy this premise so much. In fact, I think you’re second paragraph is your intro, or at least bits of your premise. Why should readers care about SWOT, well because it can help them with life situations. I’d even consider slowing down the pace and explaining in detail how -S- comes into play when approaching a girl; W; O; and T.

Great work here!

• #287

My summary on SWOT Analysis

Attachments:
      • #302
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

So my favorite part is here:Here’s why you should care, SWOT helps you to become a more sociable and relatable person. We live in a world where too many people either focus on their own strengths and not their weaknesses or they prey on the weaknesses of their opponents and ignore their own strengths. With SWOT, you can analyze both your strengths and weaknesses and get yourself in order.

I love how direct you are with your reader and how clear you are in the parts of SWOT they should care about.

Here’s where I wonder if the analogy is working as well as it could:
        For example, let’s say you have a class that you aren’t very interested in taking or going to, maybe you make it known to the teacher that you hate the class or maybe you keep it between your friends that you don’t like the class. Well I’ve got news for you, you saying that you don’t like the class is applying SWOT to real life. Your strength is that you can make it known when something bothers you better than anyone else, your weakness is that maybe you can improve on how you behave as a student, your opportunity is that you can ask the teacher or your friends to help you understand the class, and the threat that’s presented to you are your other classmates. That threat is presents itself as the rest of your classmates who understand the work and who have a genuine interest in the class as opposed to you who dreads every second of being in that classroom.

Instead of talking about SWOT being used to TALK about not liking the class– what if you showed the way the student used SWOT to determine the class was not for them? That for me felt like the natural analogy to make when you mention students and classes.

You might consider pursuing this for your summary of a concept assignment?

• #289
      Carla Landa
      Member

Dear governors and state commissioners,

The new common core has only caused chaos to the education system. Students have been forced into a new system they had no idea of. Common standards have not only killed creative teachers but creative students as well.  Common core is a policy that assume every student learns the same.” Three quarters of the state high school students flunked the more rigorous common core algebra standards last year, data reveal.” The reason for this was because students weren’t prepared for this drastic change. Throughout, their school years they were taught a different style of learning that will prepare them for the next grade.  Now, due to this common core they are only focusing on preparing the students for the test not the next grade. Preparing the students only for this test has lacked skills students need to learn for life and college.

Sincerely,

Nathalie roa, Carla Landa, Abegale Lindo, Kristina Vuceljic

• #298
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

What works really well here is your focus on common core and chaos. What I suggest you work on during the next draft is organization. I wanted to know more about how creative teachers and students are killed by common core. I also wanted to know what preparations weren’t given. I would also suggest amping up the ominous tone you have here when you use words like” “kill” “chaos” and “forced.”

Thanks for sharing!

• #290
      Jennifer Madrid
      Participant

Dear Board of Education,

I believe that the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) is the perfect introduction for students to be aligned with the college and career expectations.

In using the Common Core State Standards, college readiness is ensured at an early age. For example, if a student should decide to pursue their college education in another state, CCSS would already have been implemented, eliminating the growing need for students to be placed in remedial courses.

Jennifer, Rushane, Amina, Ann-Kristin, Titilayo

• #299
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

I appreciate your focus on the benefits of Common Core. It seems like the specific benefit you’re interested in is the ease it gives students who transfer from school to school. I would focus on that more thoroughly. I would also suggest reconsidering your audience. Do you think Board of Ed needs to know this? If so, why? What other groups of people might need to learn about this specific benefit of Common core?

• #291
      Christopher Nunez
      Participant

Ana da Silva, Christopher Nunez

SWOT analysis

Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats.

Ex. A teacher wants to teach her class a new topic but she wants to make sure it will be taught properly because it will be on the final. She decides to use the SWOT analysis in order to identify in what way she will teach them

She first goes and identifies what the strengths of her class are. By doing this she can teach her students in the way they know best

Next, she will identify what the weaknesses of her class are. Identifying the weaknesses of the class the teacher can she what the class will be needing the most help with.

Then, she will give the students opportunities for the students to improve themselves

Finally, she will have to think about what are some of the threats that can appear throughout this time.

• #300
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

What a great analogy!! SWOT for teachers! Brilliant. I do think your T needs some work– but the usefulness of identifying strengths and weaknesses is such a good point. You’d want to incorporate language here that makes it clear who your readership is and why analogizing this term in this way is necessary.

Great start!

• #292
      Sofia Yanez
      Participant

Sofia, Sebastian, Larissa, Kayla

Battle Rap: Waste Management Vs Fish 

Waste Management: Cleaning is a process you fish can’t process The first step to cleaning is screening.

Fish: You are destroying my home, keep on and you’re going to be left alone

you want to throw your trash away, so now i’m your poison baybay

you say you’re cleaning and keeping it fresh, but you’re really making a mess

• #301
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

I need this to be completed. I love the conflict that comes from having WM and a FISH talk to one another. You should consider having each party talk in specifics. What does the fish eat? Why does WM believe they’re not responsible for the pollution that stems from dumping?
        Excellent!

• #293
      Xheve Mulliqi
      Participant

Xheve, Tanjum , Rushane H

Humans are the leading cause of global warming through our daily activities we’re affecting the climate. Humans are constantly cutting down trees, burning fossil fuels and absorbing carbon dioxide.

• #296
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

This has the potential to be a great angled piece on global warming and human activities that cause it. I wonder if you could narrow your focus even further by focusing on tree cutting ONLY or Fossil fuels ONLY.

• #294
      Renee M
      Participant

Summary of a Concept: Group Assignment in Class

Dear Department of Education,
      As a concerned parent, I would like to express my severe disappointment with the new common core learning standards, as this new method of learning has caused a strain on both students and parents. This has been a major switch as kids must now erase what they’ve learned before and pick up this new method. If students can’t pick up this new method their education falls in jeopardy. He and other children are struggling to grasp the material in time for test in the classroom. Test scores have gone down significantly within each classroom as students struggle more. This new method is not difficult only for students and parents, but also for teachers as they must now have to prepare for new material. The time my child takes to complete his homework has almost doubled.
      Group Members:
      Renee McGaw
      Yasony Cleto
      Natalia Cabrera

• #303
        Dhipinder Walia
        Keymaster

Such an interesting technique to embody a writer who is directly impacted by the concept at hand. I appreciate the creativity and empathy there. If you were to expand this, you just want to ensure you give yourself the space to flesh out some of the very important examples you share here. How are students unable to grasp the material? Why aren’t they able? How is that Common Core’s fault? Similarly, how does Common Core leave teachers at a disadvantage like you suggest and why do children suffer because of this?

Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.